No organization should throw money into hiring practices or development programs unless they can prove that they really work. Any leadership program should be able to prove that the right skills are being trained and that the improvement of these skills will lead to better business results. That´s the whole idea!
Kandidata Asia´s training programs focus on assessing and developing the specific skills that will likely lead to improved performance for the individual and for the organization.
Over the years a wide body of independent research have shown that Emotional Intelligence is the one most important predictor of success for individuals and for organizations and consequently our program’s focus is on Emotional Intelligence.
The saying is that “Only what can be measured can be changed”. The measurement of Emotional intelligence in the workplace is the first step toward improving it and we use the scientifically proven EQi for measuring. By understanding the strengths and weaknesses of our participants we can systematically address and help them toward increasing the skills that really count.
Nobody said that it is easy and it is important to take the following into account:
1. Your level of EQ is firm, but not rigid. Our ability to identify and manage our own and others’ emotions is fairly stable over time, influenced by our early childhood experiences and even genetics. That does not mean we cannot change it, but, realistically, long-term improvements will require a great deal of dedication and guidance.
2. Good coaching programs do work. Good news for all you coaches and your clients; bad news for the skeptics. While no program can get someone from 0 to 100%, a well-designed coaching intervention can easily achieve improvements of 25%.
3) But you can only improve if you get accurate feedback. While many ingredients are required for a good coaching program, the most important aspect of effective EQ-coaching is giving people accurate feedback. It is vital to use a scientifically robust, valid and reliable tool!
4) Some techniques (and coaches) are more competent than others. Although there is little research on the personal characteristics of effective coaches, there is some research on the methods that work the best. Clearly, some interventions to enhance EQ are more effective than others.
5) Some people are more coachable than others. Even the best coach and coaching methods will fail with certain clients. This is hardly surprising given that many coaching engagements are arranged by HR for, shall we say, unenthusiastic clients. Although there is not much research on coachability, a recent study showed that evaluating clients’ coachability levels at the start of the sessions can increase the effectiveness of coaching.
It is not easy and there are multiple sources of error when we evaluate the outcome of a training or coaching program and relate the effects to real business results but my opinion is that it is better to use best practice and measure even though the measurements are not perfect, than not to measure at all.
Results should be specific, measurable and scientifically validated and we now have the statistics and the research that brings evidence to the table of a clear return on investment.
We can prove that the EQi will make a difference in:
- Training and Development of Employees
- Development of Leaders
- Selection of highly qualified future Leaders
We can also prove that there is a link between EQi results and:
- Higher Sales and Profits
- Increased Performance
- Improved Customer Service
- Decreased Attrition rates
- Reduction in Training Costs.
We are passionate about our work with Emotional Intelligence as a platform when we assist organizations to “Select the Best and Develop the Rest” and we look forward to continue bringing this knowledge not only to Singapore but to China, India, Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, The Philippines and Hong-Kong which are in our territories as distributors of the EQi.
Specific studies and cases are available for downloading on Kandidata Asia´s website and you are welcome to contact us for more details. You can also read more about coaching with Emotional Intelligence on my blog from June 26, 2013